Thursday, January 15, 2009

I survived the biopsy!

My drug of choice today is valium......definitely relaxed me....but didn't do much for the pain though. Oh well....it was better than nothing.

I survived!....not with flying colors....but I survived none the less. First of all, my old RE and FCI have been so wonderful through all of this. I also am so happy with CCRM. Because I have a history of painful procedures due to my cervix being very unwelcoming to catheters etc....they prescribed me a valium to take before the procedure. I wasn't going to ask for some and just suck it up, but FCI encouraged me to at least ask.....they obviously are very familiar with my pain in the ass cervix. I asked, and CCRM came through! FCI called this morning to make sure I had gotten something or they would prescribe me something too. So, I can take this one of two ways......nobody wants to deal with me complaining......or they all really care about me....so I'm going with the latter of the two. :)

I was feeling pretty loopy when we got to the Dr.'s office. Adam, being the gentleman husband he is....tried to take advantage of me in my drug-induced state while we waited for the Dr. to come in. Really? I mean, .....really? When you're about to have a metal wire punctured through your cervix so a sample can be scraped from the inside of your uterus... I can't imagine anything worse, than getting fresh with the hubby. Shot down....poor guy. To be fair, he was trying to make me laugh and keep me relaxed......

That's when the fun began. My Dr. couldn't get the catheter in.....big shocker. (To no fault of her own....it's just my stupid cervix) She had to stop to ask one of the nurses to help her and to bring her the "cervix dilater." Those 2 words haunt me like no other. I've had my cervix dilated way too many times and I was determined not to go through that again. The next time my cervix is dilated, there better be a baby coming through it. At this point, Adam made me laugh by mimicking the Dr. by saying "Um, can you bring in some of that pipe fitting material...you know the giant metal rod." Anyway, I heard those 2 words "cervix dilater", held my breath and told her I was "fine." Since I was clenching my teeth, I'm sure she could tell I was lying. It was pretty obvious. I think she could sense I was starting to lose it, so instead of waiting for the nurse, she went for it, basically puncturing through my cervix....which for the record is definitely not less painful than dilating my cervix....but she got in....she scraped, sucked, punctured, cut...or whatever she did to get the sample. In reality who knows what she ACTUALLY did to my lining....but I'm explaining what it felt like and it was painful..so go with it. Sh was so nice and kept apologizing telling me it was almost over. Once it was over, Adam immediately, TRYING to make me feel better after he had just watched me in his own words "in excruciating pain" quickly reminded me that it was ONLY 30 seconds long once she got in...............and then after he saw the "are you kidding me / death look" I gave him, he quickly added "but I'm sure it seemed much longer to you." Gee, honey, ya think?

The truth is Adam is always there to hold my hand and get me through everything. I don't know what I would do without him. My friend's husband said the hardest part of childbirth is that it's so hard to watch your wife in pain when there is nothing you can do about it. The more I thought about it, the more it made me realize how many times Adam has had to watch me go through physical and emotional pain. 4 years of painful procedures and countless tears....only we don't have a baby to show for it. It also made me realize that he is so used to all of this that when we do go through childbirth....he'll be so immune to all of it, he'll just tell me to "suck it up." To which my reply would be a punch in the face.....ahhh, can you imagine the love in that hospital room that day? Seriously though, I'm a very lucky girl.

So back to the biopsy.....I survived and we should get the results in 1-2 weeks. Please say some prayers that I have the sticky protein, otherwise, I have to go through treatment to try to develop the protein and REPEAT the test in a few months to see if the treatment worked......I really don't want to have to repeat the test......so pray for the protein!

So next steps are....wait for my period to arrive in the next few days, start an antibiotic (both of us), have bloodwork on day 3 of my cycle, frozen and shipped to Denver, have an ultrasound to make sure I don't have any cysts and wait.........

I'll update you in a few days!

Thanks for being here!

Love,
T & A

2 comments:

Sky said...

Hey there, just found you. I am also a CCRM girl (but using donor eggs as I'm OLD - 42!) and Dr. Surrey is my doctor as well. He's such a nice guy and easy to talk to.

I also am having the endometrial biopsy. Difference being, I've requested it. Seriously, how crazy can one girl be?

I just don't want to leave any stone unturned before proceeding with a very expensive donor egg cycle. But I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I'm terrified of the pain.

I'm looking forward to your results and impending cycle and, truly, I have such an uncanny instinct about these things. You are going to succeed with CCRM, just wait and see! :)

Steph and Jeanine Schmalz said...

Hi There -

I want to "give you props" for working on the health aspect of getting pregnant - mentally and physically. That was a key to success for my partner (who is now pregnant with twins with the help of Dr. Surrey and CCRM).

If you are open to the suggestion, accupuncture was a GREAT form of relaxation for her and made a HUGE difference! If you are interested in the name/number of who she uses for when you are out in Denver for your treatments just let me know.

Take good care and keep thinking good thought - Thoughts ARE Things you know!!

Stephanie
stephschmalz@comcast.net