Friday, December 19, 2008

Colorado here we come

Adam and I officially booked our flight and hotel room for Denver!

We're leaving on Monday, December 29th on a 10:15am flight and will be flying home on the night of Tuesday, December 30th. I know what you're all thinking.....that's a LONG day on the 30th. A spa day (it's what I'm calling it....so go with it) and then traveling home in the same day and getting home around midnight.

We decided to make this a quick trip. We will save $ on hotel and food etc. this way. We have to go back in late January / early February for the retrieval etc. and will be there for 7-10 days, so we can have fun and do some sight-seeing then.

So, okay, you've all been warned that there will be some venting on this blog. It's time for a vent.

I was at work the other day and one of my staff came up to chit chat. This is a staff person I rarely see because she's in a different staffing region, so she wanted to catch up. Big mistake. This was our conversation:

Idiot: "So how long have you been married now?"

Me: "A little over 5 years"

Idiot: "Really? Why don't you have kids yet?"

Me: "Trust me, we've been working on it."

Idiot: "Well, how old are you?"

Me: "31"

Idiot: "You really need to get a move on with having kids, you're not getting any younger and it's only going to get harder and harder to have a baby."

Me: "We've actually been trying for over 3 years. It's been a really rough road with procedures and miscarriages etc. so we're actually looking into adoption."
(I didn't feel like our IVF was any of her business, and didn't feel like explaining it to her. What I really wanted to say to her is inappropriate for this blog....but you can pretty much guess)

IDIOT: "Why would you ever want to adopt? You shouldn't adopt, because there's nothing like feeling your own baby kick and carrying it for 9 months and then bringing it into this world."

Me: complete silence........just staring at her in disbelief that a person could actually be THIS dumb. I literally got up from the table and just walked away.

I mean, are you kidding me? This was one of those times that my morals and manners were truly put to the test.....you know the ones that say it's not polite to murder someone? ...or the ones where you shouldn't berate someone in a public place? Yeah, those manners. Does she think I wouldn't give anything to experience that? I've only gone through all of the injections, surgeries and procedures over the years because I think they're fun and I know how much Adam enjoys being and seeing me in pain....physically and emotionally. Everything we've been through had nothing to do with wanting to give birth to our own child though. Not at all. What an IDIOT!

To be honest, if Adam and I are told that having a biological child isn't going to happen for us......I'm okay with having a child who doesn't look this us or come from our genes. It's the experience of being pregnant (longer than 7 weeks) that I want the most. I actually want to throw up every day and have stretch marks! (I kind of have some anyway, but whatever....I guess it's what happens when you're 31 and your ovaries are already shriveling up, according to idiot anyway) Never in a million years did I ever imagine I would WANT those things....but I do!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

The moral of the story is, please, never ever ask someone who has been married for awhile why they don't have kids yet.

We have our big family Christmas Party tomorrow at my Mom and Dad's so I'm mentally preparing myself for the "poor you" face that I'm sure I'll get at least 5,000 times from relatives. The one that makes me tear up. I'll definitely be drinking heavily.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Love,
Tiff :)

2 comments:

Boy Crazy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boy Crazy said...

You are too funny! I'm so glad you started this blog. Hope everything goes well next week! Kristy